Protests proceed in NYC amid lingering tensions over curfew

NEW YORK (AP) — Demonstrations over the death of George Floyd continued in New York City on Saturday, with hundreds taking to the streets and parks to protest police brutality as police pulled again on implementing an eight p.m. curfew that has led to confrontations over the previous a number of days.

More than two hours after the curfew had handed, teams of a number of hundred demonstrators continued to march in Manhattan and Brooklyn, whereas police monitored them however took a hands-off strategy.

At protests in Manhattan earlier Saturday, volunteers handed out snacks, first support kits and loads of water bottles on a muggy afternoon. One individual carried an indication itemizing close by open buildings for these in search of to flee the warmth — which some quickly did when a rain storm arrived.

Thousands of individuals crossed the Brooklyn Bridge into decrease Manhattan, the place different teams numbering within the tons of to hundreds marched or gathered in locations like Foley Square, dwelling to state and federal courtroom buildings, and Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village.

Further uptown, police had erected boundaries to all however shut off Times Square to car and foot visitors.

As the curfew handed, a big group of protesters walked onto the FDR Drive, the primary north-south artery alongside Manhattan’s east aspect, intently monitored by police, forcing police to briefly shut down one aspect of the roadway.

Youtube video thumbnail

Earlier, Julian Arriola-Hennings mentioned he didn’t anticipate the motion to decelerate anytime quickly.

“I’m never surprised by people taking action because inaction, it really hurts the soul,” he mentioned as he instructed protesters at Washington Square Park that they’d quickly march from there to City Hall.

Also read:  French minister heads to Caribbean territories to defuse tensions

“People’s feet get tired, their souls get re-energized for the right purpose.”

One of Saturday’s marches was enlivened by a band led by Jon Batiste, bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Local politicians and civil liberties advocates have known as for an finish to the eight p.m. curfew, complaining that it causes pointless friction when officers attempt to implement it.

But Mayor Bill de Blasio has insisted the curfew will stay in place all through the weekend.

Images on social media on Friday night time about an hour after a Brooklyn protest ended confirmed officers surrounding a bunch of protesters and chasing down some with batons. And officers on Manhattan’s East Side additionally used pressure to interrupt up remnants of a march that began close to the mayor’s official residence.

There had been about 40 arrests citywide Friday — far fewer than earlier nights — and no apparent indicators of the smash-and-grab stealing that marred protests earlier within the week.

On Saturday, Antoinette Henry wasn’t stunned individuals had been nonetheless marching after greater than per week, although she mentioned she had seen violence from police earlier within the week.

“Our first couple of protests ended a bit violently but we’re back out here. We’re not going to stop fighting,” Henry mentioned.

She added she thinks protests may proceed subsequent week, whilst some will return to work when New York City begins its reopening.

“I think as long as we stay organized, that’s exactly what can and will and should happen,” Henry mentioned.

Also on Saturday, police introduced charges towards a person who allegedly stabbed a police officer within the neck in Brooklyn on Wednesday night time.

Also read:  Exclusive: Alibaba Ant plans Hong Kong IPO and targets valuation of more than $ 200 billion, sources say

Dzenan Camovic, 20, has been hospitalized in crucial situation with a number of gunshot wounds. The Brooklyn resident faces a number of charges, together with tried homicide of a police officer.

Source: AP News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *