By The Associated PressJune 17, 2020 GMT
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BEIJING SEES SPIKE IN VIRUS CASES Describing a new coronavirus outbreak as “extremely grave,” the Chinese capital cancels more than 60% of commercial flights and raises the alert level.
2. TENSIONS RISING ON KOREAN PENINSULA North Korea will redeploy troops to now-shuttered inter-Korean cooperation sites, reinstall guard posts and resume military exercises at front-line areas.
3. SENATE GOP PROPOSES POLICING CHANGES The legislation would establish an enhanced use-of-force database, restrictions on chokeholds and new training and commissions to study law enforcement and race, AP learns.
4. CHINA, INDIA DEFUSE BORDER CRISIS Beijing says it has agreed with New Delhi to peacefully resolve their Himalayan border tensions following the most violent confrontations in decades.
5. TOP AMERICAN SPRINTER SUSPENDED Christian Coleman, the reigning world champion in the 100-meter dash, was temporarily banned by the Athletics Integrity Unit for missing drug tests.
Source: AP News